This boat was originally owned by a cottager on Clear Lake. The McWilliams bought the boat in 1984, and used it for a few years, but decided it should have a full restoration. After a brief hiatus in storage, Dan contacted John to investigate the possibility of John taking on the project.
The Shepherd was brought to the shop in September of 2001. The (original) engine, a 6 cyl. Chrysler Marine, was shipped out to Peterborough Automotive for a complete rebuild. You will see in the pictures below the extensive restoration done by John. Channel Cat, now a show quality runabout, resides at the McWilliams' summer home at Crowe’s Landing on Stoney Lake.
1952, 22 ft. Shepherd Runabout "Channel Cat"(McWilliams)
All deck seams were removed as the seam lines weren't very straight and were puttied in a yellow colour. The earlier Shepherds did not have the yellow putty colour in the seams, so when John constructed new deck planks (duplicating the originals), it was done by v-grooving with a spline. One strip of yellow caulking was done around the perimeter of the boat.